The Care & Feeding of a Happy Human: Quick “Pick Me Ups”
People ask me all the time, “Why are you so happy?” When I reply with “No reason,” they assume I’m being coy, but that’s hardly it- I’m simply telling it like it is. I know how to be happy for no reason.
And there really is no other reason to be happy- why? Because when you’re happy for a reason, it’s just something else someone can take away from you, leaving you with your unhappiness. When you have a specific reason (x) for being happy, you’re depending on (x) to remain constant in order to sustain your happiness. The problem is, we know that there are no constants.
You can never step in the same river twice, because the water is always flowing.
What can remain constant are your thoughts- the next time you have the urge to slip into a less than happy place, remind yourself that you are not slipping into something a little more comfortable. Instead, you’re giving up your power. You’re making a choice to go there.
Take your power back. You’re in control. Make another choice- choose to be happy.
- Force a smile- your brain will react by producing dopamine, even though you’re faking. Plus, smiles are contagious!
- Give someone a compliment.
- Listen to a favorite song.
- Play with a pet.
- Play with a child.
- Read a favorite poem or inspiring quote.
- Breathe deeply.
- Be social- call a friend, do some networking via Twitter or Facebook, email your mom.
- Tell someone you love them (and mean it).
- Do a good deed for someone.
- Focus on your strengths.
- Surround yourself with positive, happy, people.
- Find things to be grateful for, and be grateful for them.
- Eat a piece of chocolate.
- Watch a funny video.
- Look at a favorite picture.
- Go for a walk, do some stretches at your desk, whatever you can do- move!
- Dance, sing, draw, paint, write- create.
- Take a 15 minute power nap.
- Get outside in nature, even if only for a few minutes.